Friday, June 17, 2011

On Sale on Your Friendly Neighborhood Computer


I am associated with a number of writers' groups online and off. One of the key discussions that comes up is the pricing of e-books versus paperback. This has given me pause to think.

The paperback version of my novel "Once in Every Generation" sells for $15.95, plus tax and shipping. Amazon has it as low as $9.50, plus shipping. It's hard to compete with the giant Amazon machine.

I had priced my e-book on ALL formats at $9.95. There is no shipping and no tax. What a bargain, right?

Yes, it has sold for that price through Amazon and Nook and several other e-formats. But, it was brought to my attention that even well-known authors sell their e-books for less.

Okay, there is none of the labor of shipping involved on my part (unless of course, you want an autographed copy from me directly). Since it's all out there in cyberspace, all a reader has to do is click an app and they receive an instant download. We live in a world of instant gratification. I suppose it's time for me to accept that fact.

So, after much thought, I have lowered the price of the e-book to a suggested $4.99. I am grateful to those readers who purchased it at the original price. I hope you'll spread the word and tell your friends that it's on sale!

No comments:

Post a Comment